Friday, July 06, 2012

Canvas

                                                               (Painting by Subrata Gangopadhyay)



Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.

Do you still listen to the beats of my heart?
Miles away, yet nothing could keep us apart,
The days of glory, of love and lust,
The music of my cries, the passion lost in dust.

Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.

Oaths, confessions, promises,
Your sincerity then are now sheer misses,
How much I said, how much you lied,
I thought you loved me, when you were by my side.

Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.

Kisses in dark alleys, by-lanes, here and there, everywhere,
Our eyes meeting umpteen times, catching your breath when you were near,
Lost in a trance, the two souls united,
The dream broke, and then you departed.

Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.

The mask you wore now lies naked,
Urging me to a new sensation of abhorrence and hatred,
Yet, how can I detest you when I loved you so true?
I still don't know what happened, my innocent heart renders no clue.

Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.

Somewhere down the memory lane,
I unearth the traces of the game,
Trying to learn, to not be a fool again,
Identifying a new me, a new life, away from this world of shame.

Tonight the canvas bleeds in pain,
Swelling in the memories, inviting tears of rain,
The colors are disoriented, vague,
Locked away in a tightly knitted maze.



This poem is written for Ekphrasis - Poetry Writing Contest - 2.





23 comments:

  1. Beautiful rendition of a hidden heart. Really beautiful and lyrical !
    { and the painting by Subrata Bandhopadhyay fits the underlying emotions, totally }
    Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. { sorry Gangopadhyay }

      Delete
    2. Thank You :-) Its the beautiful painting that really made me write the poem :-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful and deep poem on looking for a lost love. I love how the stanza's repeat. It creates amazing rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Releasing emotion through creativity ~ wonderful way to heal ~ Living life ~ both the joy and sorrow ~ wonder if you have read The Prophet by Kahil Gibran ~ he writes of joy and sorrow and life ~ ~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the book ... though have heard of it ... will definitely read this masterpiece :-)

      Delete
  4. Omg! I can't comment on this poem, cos it's one of your best i have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dark Angel for appreciating my work always :-)

      Delete
  5. It's a beautiful abstract painting indeed.. and I can see now why the canvas bleeds..

    This was very beautiful and as someone who really loves art.. I have to say thank you.. Thank you so much for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words come out on its own when the painting is like this ... full credit to the painter :-)

      Delete
    2. well, it certainly was the product of a very fine artist indeed.. art is like books.. You know you're reading a really great book if the pages seem to come alive.. a true good work of art will provoke such feelings in the reader or the eye of the beholder and I see that that is exactly what happened here! Kudos to you both!

      Delete
  6. Again, so much fantastic emotion. I always get pulled into the feelings of your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its lengthy (pardon me) bcos of repetition.
    But then again, its about the experience and the message you convey.
    I felt it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is some intense and deep writing! The words are very striking and strong. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done ~ I like refrain stanza ~ So it doesn't seem so long, I suggest that you only use the the refrain on the first and last, not in the middle ~

    Cheers ~

    ReplyDelete